Well, it’s that time of the year again. Fellow MennoNerds and I are posting some highlights of the previous year on our blogs. Aside from being able to contribute to the new MennoNerds anthology “A Living Alternative”, I’d say that Z&P has had a pretty fruitful year. In total we’ve published 78 blogs, welcomed 9,948 visitors, and had 13,610 views all in the last year alone. (1) It’s been amazing to engage with our faithful readers on topics ranging from disability theology to social justice and from the charismatic movement to young adults in the church.
As we reflect on the past year, we’d like to specifically draw your attention to some of your favourite blog posts from 2014:
- The Disaster of Repressed Sexuality (2): In this blog post, originally written as part of a Wild Goose festival blog tour, I share about my own struggles growing up in the capital “E” Evangelical church and the questions that remained unanswered as to sex and sexuality until I was well into my twenties. Throughout this article, I try to write honestly and openly about the gender discrepancies our churches provide, the over-romanization of our culture, and the effects the “purity” culture has on young adults. Want to check it out? Head over here: https://debdebbarak.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/the-disaster-of-repressed-sexuality-the-danger-of-not-having-the-sex-talk-and-how-churches-can-begin-to-encourage-their-young-adults-to-liberate-their-sexuality/.
- 5 Things Christians Should Really Stop Doing: Have you ever been completely turned off by Protestants who bash Catholics, by friends who tell you they’ll pray for you simply because they don’t know what else to say, or by people who appear to be religious hypocrites? Yeah? Me too! Read all about it at: https://debdebbarak.wordpress.com/2014/03/01/5-things-christians-should-really-stop-doing/.
- How Should A Single Woman Pray For Her Future Spouse?: If you’re single, a woman, and over the age of 14, you’ve probably been told at some point in your life that you should pray for your future spouse. But how exactly do we do that? Should we do it? Is there a danger in believing God will just put Mr. Right in front of us and that we don’t need to exert any effort looking? Answers to these questions and more at: https://debdebbarak.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/how-should-a-single-woman-pray-for-her-future-spouse/.
- Reflections of a Mennocostal – My IHOPKC Experience: In this introductory post to a blogging series on the International House of Prayer in Kansas City movement, I share about how the Holy Spirit took a hold of me, challenged and inspired me, and ultimately how God’s Hand was heavy on this place. Check it out and let me know what you think at: https://debdebbarak.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/reflections-of-a-mennocostal-my-ihopkc-experience-an-introduction-to-a-blogging-series/.
- 5 Ridiculous Things You Probably Believe About Mental Illness: With one out of every 4 adults suffering from some form of Mental Illness, chances are you’ve rubbed shoulders on more than one occasion with someone who suffers from Depression, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Bipolar, or Schizophrenia. What you may not realize is that some of these people may include your current primary care physician, your teacher, or your pastor. Depression and anxiety are a whole lot more common than we think. Think about it at: https://debdebbarak.wordpress.com/2014/08/14/5-ridiculous-things-you-probably-believe-about-mental-illness/.
So, now that we know some of your favourite blog posts for this past year, where is Z&P headed in the New Years? Well, we’d love to hear from you and to get an idea of a bit more of what you’d like to see on our blog. Some ideas we have lined up include: hot button topics that Christians are afraid to touch (homosexuality, abortion, euthanasia, perhaps?); some in-depth interviews with some of your favourite Anabaptist thinkers and theologians, more guest blog posts, more book reviews, and finally beginning to tackle the Calvinist vs. Arminian debate. What do you think? We’d love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line at: email@example.com about what you’re hoping 2015 will bring :).
Thanks for your faithful readership over the years to Zweibach and Peace. We wish you a happy New Year and trust that God has great things in store for you :).
1) Over the past 2 years since Z&P was founded, we’ve published 189 posts and had a total of 24,862 views on our blog. Our goal is to ring in the New Year with 25,000 views! Help us make that happen by sharing this link on your Twitter or Facebook newsfeed.
2) Affectionately Subtitled: The Danger of Not Having the Sex-Talk and How Churches Can Begin to Encourage Their Young Adults to Liberate Their Sexuality (Published: April 21, 2014)